Thursday, July 16, 2009

From South Hadley native John Zebryk RE development

John:

Thanks for the message.

I agree with your assessment.

John Hine is the Selectboard's representative to CPAC and I will pass your comments on to him, especially in case he had not seen the Business West story, which is on-line at http://www.businesswest.com/details.asp?id=2083. However, I have attended several meetings, which have been some of the best governmental meetings I have ever attended. You can see more at http://www.vhb.com/southhadley/.

I'm happy to be a "sounding board" and I'm happy to keep you posted on S. Hadley! We need the perspective of people like you, who remember the town from the 1940's. Maybe we can improve the town without losing all that was special then.

You already know about South Hadley History at http://southhadleyhistoricalsociety.blogspot.com but I also post some other town material at My Selectboard page at http://bobjudgeselectboard.blogspot.com.

It's starting to warm up here now, finally, but I'm sure it is much warmer in Florida!

- Bob


From: John Zebryk [mailto:jhnzebryk@comcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:08 PM
To: BobJudge@comcast.net
Cc: Bill Cary
Subject: SH Master Plan

Bob,

Recently received the July 6 issue of Business West and liked the piece on SH and it's Master Plan efforts.

Such an effort has been long overdue. Was pleased to note that the Falls is recognized as the weakest link in the economic picture and that it also offers the greatest potential for positive new growth and improvement. Riverfront location alone offers huge opportunities.

The residential historic character of the town, and its college, is one of its greatest strengths. I would not get too carried away by the Chamber of Commerce types who may wish it to become a commercial Mecca. Many communities have upgraded their residential base and have been able support their infrastructure from that base primarily. I would model on Longmeadow, Wilbraham , Amherst, and Belchertown? Agawam is pulling itself apart a little by trying to decide how much business and industry it can absorb while still maintaining a rural residential character?

I shall look forward to the CPAC's report and all subsequent developments.

Thank you for allowing me to use you somewhat as a sounding board. Are you on the CPAC committee by chance?

Best personal regards,


John R. Zebryk

No comments:

Post a Comment